Custom Data Files
Custom Data Files have a number of practical and valuable applications within WebCommunicator.
Custom Data Files can be used to:
- Display information on a web page in a spread sheet style. Any information which is contained in a spread sheet file in rows and columns can be displayed. A simple example is an internal staff contact page containing names, phone numbers and email addresses.
- Display personalized information on a web page in a spread sheet style. An example is a work schedule containing columns for date, start time and end time.
- Update custom information about members in the web site data base.
Uploading a Custom Data File
On the Outlook Bar, navigate to General Admin > Custom Data Files.
Select Add Data File from the Button Bar.
The following is a brief descriptions of the Custom Data File Options:
- This field will be used to populate ... Check this option if the custom data file will be used to populate custom fields for people or organizations.
- First Row as Header. Check this box, if the Custom Data File has a header row.
Tip: The header row for each column in the Custom Data File must contain a unique alphanumeric value (numbers and letters only.)
- Is Credit Book. Check this box, if the Custom Data File contains credit book information that will be associated with the member's online account statement.
Tip: Contact your Buz coach for assistance with Credit Book files.
- Is Minimum File. No longer required or supported.
- Is User Info. Check this box if:
- This field will be used to populate ... is selected or
- The Custom Data File contains private information about members which is 'eyes only' to the member to which the information applies.
- Data Description. Insert a brief description of the data file.
- Upload New File. Use the browse button to locate the file to be uploaded.
Note: Only Comma Delimited (CSV) files are supported.
Complete the options and click Add Data File.
Once the data file is saved, additional options will become available.
The file above is an image of a spread sheet which contains custom data. Upon uploading this file, the following options will become available:
The following is a description of each of the columns:
- Column. This is the column name from the Custom Data File. If the column names contained spaces, the spaces are replaced with '_'.
- Display. This is the display value for the column which will be displayed on the web site. This field can be edited to suit.
- Sort. The file can be sorted for display purposes, in ascending or descending order of the field selected.
- Type. The default data type is text, however, the data type can be changed to Currency, Integer, Date or Text.
- Calc. Calculations can be performed on columns which contain integers or text containing numbers only. Calculations supported are Sum and Average. If Calc is selected for a specific column, the desired calculation will appear at the bottom of the display.
- Show. Check this box, if the column is to be displayed.
- Rank. The rank determines the order in which the columns will be displayed. Change the rank to re-order the columns.
- User Link. If Is User Info was selected in Step 1, then either the Username or Member ID must be selected here. A column with the selected option must exist in the Custom Data File.
Once all of the options have been completed, click Update Data File.
The Custom Data File can now be used on a Custom Data Display page.
Updating the Custom Data File
The Custom Data File can be updated from time to time. From the Custom Data File list, select Edit, then click the Browse button beside the Upload New File field and select the file to be uploaded.
Note: The updated file must be the exact name of the original and must contain the exact structure as the original.
Automatic Updates: To schedule automatic updates of a Custom Data File, contact your Buz coach for assistance.