The File Manager displays the contents of your sitepicts folder of your website. It acts as a storage unit for all the files that you personally upload directly to your site. Although the majority of files will be images, you can also upload Flash files, PDFs, Word documents, etc.
You can access the File Manager a number of different ways. The primary link is located on the left side of the admin under Web Page Management. You can also access the File Manager every time you see a Browse Server; i.e. Insert/Edit Image, Image Button, etc.
The File Manager is divided into two sections, the folders on the left and the files on the right. Grouping your files in separate folders helps maintain control of your files.
- Creating a new folder:
- Click on the folder you want the new one to appear under.
- Press the at the top of the Folders menu. A new folder will appear underneath the folder you selected.
- Enter the new folder name in the available field.
- Click on the button beside it.
- Editing a folder name:
- Click the button beside the folder name you wish to change.
- Replace the folder name in the available field.
- Click on the button beside it.
- Deleting a folder:
- Press the beside the folder you wish to delete. Confirmation options will appear with information about the folder.
- Click "Delete Folders" if you wish to delete it or "Cancel" to abort the process and keep the folder.
- Uploading a file:
- Click on the preferred folder on the left side.
- Click the button at the top of the Images list. The following will appear on the right:
- Press "Browse" to search your computer for the file you wish to upload.
- Double click on the file name and it will appear in the table. You can select multiple files at one time or repeat this process however many times you want.
- To return to your list of files and not upload any fies, click on "Return to List View". To remove a file from the upload list select it and press "Remove". To remove all the files from the upload list press "Reset".
- When you are finished selecting files to upload, click the "Upload" button. The "Upload" button will be replaced with a "Stop" button that can stop the uploading process.
- As soon as the upload process is complete, click on "Return to List View".
- Renaming a file:
- Click the button beside the file you wish to rename. A text field, the file type, a button, and a cancel arrow will replace the file name.
- Change the file name the same way you changed a folder name in Editing a Folder Name.
- Press to save the new file name.
- Deleting a file:
To use an image on your website, it is usually necessary to format the image for physical size and memory size. If you insert an image directly onto your page and grab the corners to resize it, it will usually not resize accurately and the memory size will stay the same. If you create a page that includes numerous images like this, the page will load very slowly when you try to access it. To resize your images properly and make them web friendly, webCommunicator has included a photo editing program called Picnik. Click on the button beside the desired image to edit your image. You can select resize to adjust the physical size or crop to remove excess background. When you save your image, the memory size will automatically be adjusted. If you wish to learn more about the Picnik program, check out http://www.picnik.com.
Files are listed alphabetically, capitalized files first. Files can also be sorted by type; note the the filter on the right side of the File Manager.